The traditional life review is a well-known tool for people 50+ who wish to recall memories, resolve conflicts, and find forgiveness. I describe this process as the ego's life review, the story that our clients consciously lived and tell themselves about their lives. But we know from psychology that the personal unconscious, or Shadow, carries its own stories, dreams, and fantasies. I will add the dimension of Shadow to bring a deeper perspective to this tool, so that clients can explore their unlived lives and unfulfilled aspirations. We will explore how to connect what was expressed in an individual life story with what was repressed and unlived. In this way, the unlived life moves into conscious awareness, and clients can reclaim some of what was sacrificed—lost dreams, talents, and opportunities for reconciliation and healing. This animated Power Point is adapted from the bestselling book The Inner Work of Age: Shifting from Role to Soul.
Participants will be able to:
1. Learn a practice for older adult clients, who tend to be neglected in clinical training and suffer ageism in society.
2. Define the purpose of a traditional life review, its opportunities and limitations.
3. Assist clients to identify a key pattern in their conscious life story.
4. Learn to describe how to review a client’s unlived life.
5. Assist clients to identify a feeling, trait, talent, or dream that was buried in the Shadow.
6. Assist clients to identify one of those to explore more deeply now.
Connie Zweig, Ph.D., is a retired therapist, co-author of Meeting the Shadow and Romancing the Shadow, author of Meeting the Shadow of Spirituality and a novel, A Moth to the Flame: The Life of Sufi Poet Rumi.
Her new book, The Inner Work of Age: Shifting from Role to Soul, extends shadow-work into late life and teaches aging as a spiritual practice. It’s available now on Amazon. Connie has been doing contemplative practices for 50 years. She is a wife and grandmother and was initiated as an Elder by Sage-ing International in 2017. After investing in all these roles, she is practicing the shift from role to soul.
* * *
The Zoom link and password will be provided in the registration confirmation email after sign-up is completed.
Attendance at the live event in full and completion of the evaluation at the end qualifies for 2 hours of Continuing Education (2 CEUs).
PLEASE NOTE: This event will be recorded. By registering for this event you are consenting to a recording being made which may include your voice and/or image. This recording will be posted on the Marin CAMFT Programs Library, and available to members for review and downloading.
Date: Friday, February 11
Time: 12 noon to 2 pm Pacific
Cost: Free for Marin CAMFT members and reciprocal members, $20 for non-members.
Location: Online via Zoom. Password and link sent upon registration.
For more information about the Friday Continuing Education Series or about joining the Committee, please contact our Director of Programs.
- Continuing Education: This workshop meets the qualifications for continuing education units for LMFTs, LCSWs, LEPs and/or LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The number of CEUs awarded is specified in the event description. These CEUs will be provided by Marin CAMFT (CAMFT Provider # 56895), which is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs. We regret that at this time we are not able to provide CE units for Licensed Psychologists. Participants must attend the full live session and complete the evaluation at the end to receive CE completion certificate. Marin CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program and its contents. Contact our Director of Programs for more information.
- Continuing Education Goal: Marin CAMFT is committed to offering continuing education courses to train LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs to treat any client in an ethically and clinically sound manner based upon current accepted standards of practice.
- Refund Policy: Our refund policy requires a $20 processing fee, therefore refunds are not available for this program, as the maximum purchase price is $20. We also do not provide refunds in case of non-attendance by the registrant. Please email our Director of Programs with any questions.
- Request for Accommodations: If you need accommodations for this event, please contact the Director of Programs
- Grievance Procedure: Marin CAMFT will respond to complaints in a reasonable, ethical and timely manner, when submitted by program attendees in writing to the Director of Programs
- Anti-Discrimination Policy: Marin CAMFT shall not discriminate against any individual or group with respect to any service, program or activity based on gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, creed, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, ability, or other prohibited basis. Marin CAMFT does not require attendees to adhere to any particular religion or creed in order to participate in training. Marin CAMFT will not promote or advocate for a single modality of treatment that is discriminatory or likely to harm clients based on current accepted standards or practice.
Continuing education credits are available for live attendance at the Zoom presentation. You must be logged on for the entirety of the online session and complete the evaluation at the end in order to receive a completion certificate.