REGISTRATION TO OPEN SOON FOR THIS EVENT, PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER
Our Fall series of training begins on September 9!
2 CEs available
Free for Marin CAMFT members and reciprocal chapter members!
The past decade has seen an enormous increase in the production and consumption of online pornography which has grown into multibillion-dollar industry. Addressing the obsessive use of pornography is becoming a significant factor in clinical practice with children, adolescents and adults.
This presentation will outline the psychological factors involved in client attraction to pornography with an outline of the development of problematic pornography use. The roles of obsessiveness, impulsiveness and compulsiveness will be described along with guidance for the assessment of problematic use.
Suggestions will be made for treatment strategies in addressing this issue in clinical practice.
Participants will learn:
- Describe the “Coolidge effect”, the concept of “Supernormal Stimulus” and the “Online Disinhibition Effect” and their relationship to the development of problematic online pornography use.
- Explain the development of problematic pornography use in children, teens and adults.
- Describe sexual identity and racial differences in pornography production, consumption and meaning.
- Recognize the effects of impulsiveness, compulsiveness and obsessiveness in the development of problematic pornography use.
- Assess problematic pornography use in clinical practice.
- Develop treatment approaches to address problematic usage.
Mark Edwards is a psychotherapist, trainer, teacher and clinical consultant. He has maintained a private practice in San Rafael for 20 years and works with a broad client group of children, adolescents and adults.
Mark has been an adjunct professor for the Master’s Degree program in Counseling at Sonoma State University since 2007 and has a wide range of clinical experience including as former Assistant Clinical Director at the Community Institute for Psychotherapy in San Rafael and as a member of the forensic interview team for the Marin County District Attorney’s office.
Mark also supervises and teaches post Master’s and Pre-Doctoral interns for agencies across the Bay Area.
For further details, please visit: www.MarkEdwardsMFT.com
The Zoom link and password are provided in the registration confirmation email after sign-up is completed.
Attendance at the live event in full and completion of the evaluation at the end qualifies for 2 hours of Continuing Education (2 CEUs).
Date: Friday, September 9
Time: 12 noon to 2 pm Pacific
Cost: Free for Marin CAMFT members and reciprocal members, $20 for non-members.
Location: Online via Zoom. Password and link sent upon registration.
Additional Information about Marin CAMFT CE Programs
For more information about the Friday Continuing Education Series or about joining the Marin CAMFT Continuing Education Committee, please contact our Director of Programs Norman Hering.
- Continuing Education: This workshop meets the qualifications for continuing education units for LMFTs, LCSWs, LEPs and/or LPCCs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The number of CEUs awarded is specified in the event description. These CEUs will be provided by Marin CAMFT (CAMFT Provider # 56895), which is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs. We regret that at this time we are not able to provide CE units for Licensed Psychologists. Participants must attend the full live session and complete the evaluation at the end to receive CE completion certificate. Marin CAMFT maintains responsibility for this program and its contents. Contact our Director of Programs for more information.
- Continuing Education Goal: Marin CAMFT is committed to offering continuing education courses to train LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and LEPs to treat any client in an ethically and clinically sound manner based upon current accepted standards of practice.
- Refund Policy: Our refund policy requires a $20 processing fee, therefore refunds are not available for this program, as the maximum purchase price is $20. We also do not provide refunds in case of non-attendance by the registrant. Please contact our Programming Director at Large with any questions.
- Request for Accommodations: If you need accommodations for this event, please contact the Director of Programs.
- Grievance Procedure: Marin CAMFT will respond to complaints in a reasonable, ethical and timely manner, when submitted by program attendees in writing to the Director of Programs.
- Anti-Discrimination Policy: Marin CAMFT shall not discriminate against any individual or group with respect to any service, program or activity based on gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, creed, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, ability, or other prohibited basis. Marin CAMFT does not require attendees to adhere to any particular religion or creed in order to participate in training. Marin CAMFT will not promote or advocate for a single modality of treatment that is discriminatory or likely to harm clients based on current accepted standards or practice.
Continuing education credits are available for live attendance at the Zoom presentation. You must stay on the Zoom meeting for the entirety of the session and complete the course evaluation at the end in order to receive a completion certificate.